The Waukesha Public Library Board formed a Strategic Planning Committee composed of library staff, Friends of the Waukesha Public Library members, and Library Board trustees. Under the direction and guidance of strategic planning consultants, a number of sources of data and information was gathered and analyzed between April and July of 2018. The following data and information formed the bedrock upon which the goals and objectives of the strategic plan were built.
- Annual library operations and service data submitted to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) for the years 2008-2016.
- Results of a survey of the community conducted between June 4, 2018 and July 16, 2018 that garnered a total of 1,212 responses.
- Information from three Community Conversations attended by business and civic leaders, educators, officeholders, citizens and library patrons.
- The first was held July 9, 2018 with nine participants.
- The second was held July 12, 2018 with seven participants.
- The third took place July 19, 2018 with sixteen participants.
- Results of a Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis with a staff focus group.
- Results of an Issues and Needs Questionnaire, completed by members of the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Demographic and economic data from the American Community Survey and the 2000 and 2010 US Census.
The Strategic Planning Committee, with the assistance of the consultants, reviewed all the data and information and drafted the strategic plan over the course of three in-person meetings between August and October of 2018. The final strategic plan was approved by the Library Board of Trustees at their November 8th, 2018 Board meeting.