This report details the results of the planning process carried out by an ad hoc committee of members of the Waukesha Public Library’s Board of Trustees, the library director, and the Library’s management team from September 2011 to February 2012.
The results of an analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the Library, as well as the opportunities and threats that it faces, were particularly important to the process and the resulting plan. This analysis was carried out by members of the Library Board, the Friends of the Library Board, managers, and staff. The document validates the vision and mission written in late 2008, updates the goals, and develops a series of accompanying strategies to be achieved within the next two years.
The planning process for the Waukesha Public Library 2014 Strategic Plan began in late 2013, and concluded in Spring 2014. Utilizing a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) survey similar to the metric used during the 2012 planning process, the study included input from five separate stakeholder groups: the Waukesha Public Library Board of Trustees, the Library’s Administrative Team, Library Staff, the Friends of Waukesha Public Library, and the General Public by way of the Library’s digital newsletter distribution list.
The 2014 Strategic Plan for the Waukesha Public Library begins with a vision, sets in place a mission, and concludes with measurable objectives that will gauge success in a variety of areas of service. It takes into account the needs of our local and regional community of users, the needs of our staff, and will propel the organization into the next era of outstanding service and recognized leadership throughout the state of Wisconsin.
The Waukesha Public Library Board formed a Strategic Planning Committee composed of library staff, Friends of the Waukesha Public Library members, and Library Board trustees. Under the direction and guidance of strategic planning consultants, a number of sources of data and information was gathered and analyzed between April and July of 2018. The following data and information formed the bedrock upon which the goals and objectives of the strategic plan were built.
- Annual library operations and service data submitted to the Department of Public Instruction (DPI) for the years 2008-2016.
- Results of a survey of the community conducted between June 4, 2018 and July 16, 2018 that garnered a total of 1,212 responses.
- Information from three Community Conversations attended by business and civic leaders, educators, officeholders, citizens and library patrons.
- The first was held July 9, 2018 with nine participants.
- The second was held July 12, 2018 with seven participants.
- The third took place July 19, 2018 with sixteen participants.
- Results of a Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats (SWOT) analysis with a staff focus group.
- Results of an Issues and Needs Questionnaire, completed by members of the Strategic Planning Committee.
- Demographic and economic data from the American Community Survey and the 2000 and 2010 US Census.
The Strategic Planning Committee, with the assistance of the consultants, reviewed all the data and information and drafted the strategic plan over the course of three in-person meetings between August and October of 2018. The final strategic plan was approved by the Library Board of Trustees at their November 8th, 2018 Board meeting.