HOLDS PICKUP SERVICE
Starting April 27, the Library will be providing an outdoor holds pickup service. This service will be available from 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday. To support social distancing, we are operating with a very limited staff. We appreciate your patience, as wait times may be longer than usual.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS:
- Place your items on hold.
- Go to our catalog and place the items you’d like on hold. Make sure the pickup location is set to Waukesha Public Library. Please be aware that wait times for items coming from other Bridges libraries will be longer than usual.
- You can also request a "Library Care Package" by filling out this form. Our knowledgeable Children's Team will choose several titles for your child(ren) to enjoy!
- If you need assistance placing your holds, please call us at 262-524-3682. If you are looking for children’s items, please call 262-524-3692.
- Verify that your holds have been pulled.
- After 24 hours, log in to your account to confirm that your holds are available. They will show a status of 'Held' when they have been pulled.
- If you need assistance verifying that your holds are available, please call us at 262-524-3682 or watch this short video.
- Schedule your pickup time.
- Once you have verified that your holds are available, click on the “Schedule a Pickup” button (along the right-hand side of this page).
- Schedule your pickup for a date and time that works for you.
- If you need assistance scheduling your pickup time, please call us at 262-524-3682 or watch this short video.
- Come and get your items.
- During your scheduled pickup time, enter the Library parking lot from Maple Avenue and pull up to the front entrance.
- Call 262-524-3684 to let us know you have arrived.
- A staff member will place your holds on a cart outside of the front entrance. Your holds will be in a plastic bag and labeled with your name.
- Once the staff member has gone back inside the building, you may come and take your items.
Please remember, Waukesha Public Library remains closed to the public. Lobbies, restrooms, computers, and other spaces are not accessible. If you need to return materials, please use our outside book return.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I place a hold over the telephone?
Absolutely! Just call us at 262-524-3682 (Adult Reference Desk) or 262-524-3692 (Children’s Reference Desk) for help with any part of the process.
How do I return materials?
If you need to return materials, please use our outside book return. Do not return items on the holds pickup cart.
What if I want materials from another library?
You may request items from any library in the Bridges Library System using the Cafe Catalog. Please be aware that wait times may be longer than usual. At this time, we are not able to place interlibrary loan requests.
What if I don’t have a cell phone?
If you do not have a cell phone that you can use when you come to pick up your items, please notify us ahead of time so that we can make alternate arrangements with you.
What if I have mobility issues and cannot leave my vehicle?
Don’t worry! In this situation, we can put items in your trunk or place them through a passenger window. Please notify staff of this situation when you call.
Do I need a library card?
Yes, you must have a library card with the Bridges Library System to use our holds pickup service. If you have a temporary e-card, please call 262-524-3684 and our staff will create a card for you. We will place your new card in the bag with your materials when you pick them up.
What if I have fines?
If you need to pay your fines, our online fine payment system is still available. Just log into your account to pay your fines online.
What if I miss my pickup time?
If you miss your pickup time, call 262-524-3682 to reschedule. All holds that have not been picked up or rescheduled after 24 hours will be cancelled. Please do not come to pick up materials without a scheduled pickup time.
What if it is raining or snowing?
We will try our best to continue pickup service in any weather. Materials will be in plastic bags and will be made available under an overhang. Feel free to call 262-524-3682 if you are concerned that the weather may impact your pickup time.
Are library materials safe to use?
All of our materials will have been quarantined for a minimum of 24 hours before they are made available to the public, but we cannot guarantee that they will be virus-free. Please take into consideration your needs and comfort level when deciding whether or not to use library materials.
What are you doing to protect the safety of patrons and staff?
The contactless service we are using provides maximum social distancing for both patrons and staff. Library staff will follow the safety guidelines set forth by the City of Waukesha and the Center for Disease Control.
Why are you using plastic bags for pickup items?
Plastic bags are a temporary measure to protect patron privacy, protect our materials, and to limit unnecessary human contact with Library items.
In order to respect the need for social distancing, patrons and staff should not approach one another when you come to pick up your items. This may feel uncomfortable, but it is necessary to maintain safe conditions for everyone. Please feel free to call us at 262-524-3682 if you have questions or concerns about picking up your items.