How Do I_Get a Library Card

Get a Library Card

You can start your registration online. Your temporary library card number will be available immediately for accessing OverDrive/Libby and the Library databases. Please visit the Library within one month to complete your registration and get your permanent card. Proof of current address and a picture ID are required.

Individuals wishing to check out materials from the Waukesha Public Library must have a valid public library card. A free card is issued to any Waukesha or Jefferson County resident who presents picture/photo identification and proof of current address. Examples of proof of residency include:

  • Driver's license
  • Check book
  • House or property title or mortgage
  • Lease agreement
  • Piece of personal mail
  • Utility bill

A free library card will be issued to any resident of Waukesha or Jefferson County under the age of eighteen who is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian presenting a picture ID and proof of current residency. The card must be signed in the presence of the parent or legal guardian.

Who is eligible for a card?

As a member of the Bridges Library System, the Waukesha Public Library serves all residents and taxpayers of Waukesha and Jefferson Counties. There is no age or skill requirement for obtaining a library card. Eligibility entitles an individual to apply for a Waukesha Public Library card. A CAFE library card may be used at any library in Waukesha or Jefferson County.

Non-Resident Borrowers

The library also honors the valid borrowers' card of any public library in Wisconsin, other than those in Milwaukee County. Milwaukee County residents must pay a $25 annual fee for a Waukesha Public Library card.

College Students

College students who are residing temporarily in Waukesha County are eligible for a personal library card. Students residing at their permanent address outside Waukesha County do not qualify for a card based on attendance at a local college.


Teachers who do not meet the residency requirement, but are employed by the Waukesha School District, the University of Wisconsin-Waukesha, or the Waukesha County Technical College, or any other school located in the City of Waukesha and primarily serving children of City of Waukesha taxpayers may apply for a personal library card. Evidence of current employment must be shown. Teachers at schools other than these need to meet residential eligibility requirements or pay the annual fee.


Businesses (any business, professional service, or community agency, including private pre-schools) which own or rent space in Waukesha County may apply for cards for individual employees (regardless of place of residence) to use for normal business activities. Application must be made on business letterhead and signed by a responsible official. The businesses agree to be ultimately accountable for library materials and to keep the library informed of changes in employee status.